Everyone needs personal storage for their notebook and netbook computers, and even though modern portable PCs have decent storage, it pales when compared to many desktop computers. Laptops can be equipped with 250gb, 500gb, or even 1tb hard drives, which really is enough for photos and documents, but starts to feel a little short when you want to bring a lot of videos and other large media on the go.
Using a large external drive makes sense if you don’t have to have the data accessible all of the time. You can get cheap 1-terabyte drives to store tons of high-definition videos and music. Using a large external drive for backup also makes sense, as you really should keep backup data in a separate place in case your laptop is stolen or breaks.
There are a few different small external hard drive solutions that are perfect for notebook and netbook users. These drives should be small enough to fit inside a laptop bag, but have enough speed and capacity under the hood to not slow you down. Western Digital’s MyPassport 1TB hard drive could be the answer you’re looking for. Not only does it offer a ton of storage, but comes in a small form factor and is equipped with USB 3.0 technology.
Features and Specifications
• Formatted NTFS
• Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
• Mac OS®X Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard (requires reformatting)
| Package Contents
• Portable hard drive
• WD SmartWare software
• USB cable
• Quick Install Guide
You’re in control of your backup. Install all the features, select just the components you need, or if you prefer, choose not to use the software at all.
Password protection for privacy.
Gain peace of mind knowing that your data is protected from unauthorized access with password protection and encryption.
Automatic, continuous backup.
Works quietly in the background to protect your data using minimal PC resources. Whenever you add or change a file it’s instantly backed up.
We designed a small retail box from recycled materials to minimize waste. We encourage you to recycle it.
Your data is not just data, it’s your family photos, your financial documents, your music – your life. You know you should back it up, but many of you don’t. We understand. We’ve talked to lots of people and we’ve heard the reasons why people don’t back up – there’s no time; it’s a pain; their data’s not organized; they don’t know how. Using what we’ve learned, we developed easy, automatic backup software we hope you’ll really use because we understand the importance of your data.
You’re up and running in a few simple steps. Once you set it up, you can forget it because the rest is automatic.
It finds your data.
- A unique visual interface lets you see the WD drives connected to your computer.
- WD SmartWare automatically scans your computer and finds all of your personal files, including e-mail.
- Select the files and folders that you want backed up or back up your files by category. It’s up to you.
- The backup gauges show how much information you have to be backed up in each category. You can even mouse over a category to see a file count.
- Simply click “Start Backup” and WD SmartWare will automatically start backing up your files.
- As your backup is running the category gauges will change color showing you the backup as it happens.
- When finished, you’ll see a status screen and information about your backup. You only have to do this once. After the first backup, your files will be backed up automatically every time you change or add a file.