Back yo' ass up
I’m not the biggest fan of external HD enclosures. It seems that the speed of transfer is always too slow and the heat build-up causes you to lose data right up until the hard drive finally just dies. So when I received the Qnap QBack-35S, I was naturally wary of sticking one of my precious HD’s in there. Eventually though, I realized that it would have to be done. None of my friends were willing to let me gut their computers to borrow a hard drive.
First off, let’s have a little background on our subject. The QNAP QBack-35S Automatic File Backup Station is an encrypted data backup center designed for people who want a little more security for their data. Namely, an AES 256-bit data encryption. QBack-35S is a 3.5” single SATA drive external enclosure which is compatible with major hard disk drive brands. It supports up to 1TB capacity, USB 2.0, and eSATA high-speed data transfer. It offers hands-free and real-time automatic file backup along with Email backup. Four backup modes are provided including auto-sync backup, instant backup, one-touch-button backup, and schedule backup.
QBack-35S main features:
- Automatic file backup (one-way synchronization) through the powerful QBack auto-backup software installed on PC/notebook.
- Multiple choices of backup modes:
Auto-Backup (one-way synchronization)
One-Touch-Button (OTB) backup (For QBack Software with USB connection only).
- Incremental backup feature for all modes, only modified files and newly created files on computer will be backed up to save time.
- Smart detection of backup file size and available storage capacity on the disk to ensure successful backup.
- Backup all files in computer including all mails in Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail (for Vista), My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, and Desktop.
- Advanced data encryption technology (AES 256-bit) to make sure the backup data is securely protected at all times.
- Hard disk can be partitioned into 2 disks: Public and Secure disks by Quick Install Wizard.
- USB 2.0 and eSATA interfaces for faster backup file transfer rate.
- Support 3.5″ SATA HDD up to 1TB (not included).
- Support Windows Vista (32-bit)/ XP/ 2000/ Server 2003.
- Convenient data restore to original paths.
- Multilingual support: English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russia
- Hard Disk 3.5″ SATA HDD, up to 1TB ( the standard package is shipped without HDD )
- USB 2.0 & eSATA
- LED Indicators Power: Blue (when the device is on)
- HDD: Blink in Orange (when accessing hard disk)
- One Touch Button One Touch Backup Button (For USB Only)
- Rear I/O Ports 1 x eSATA Port / 1 x USB B Type Connector/
- 1 x DC-in Jack
- Power Supply Input: 100-240V AC, 47-63Hz
- Output: DC 5V/ 2A, 12V/ 2A
- Dimensions 210(D) x 123(W) x 38.75(H)mm
- Weight Net Weight: 0.57Kg
- Gross Weight: 1.48Kg
- Operation Temperature 0~40°C
- Operation Humidity 0~85% R.H.
- Supporting System Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista(32-bit)
- Automatic Backup Software Expert mode
- Schedule Backup
- Instant Backup & Restore
- Express mode: Express backup and restore
- AES 256-bit data encryption
- Incremental backup
- Secure disk management
- Q-Mail Archiving
- Event management
- Supporting Languages English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
- Quick Install Wizard Clear step-by-step configuration
- Can create disk partition (Public/ Secure disk)
- Set password to protect data