The reason I am reviewing this motherboard is because my hosting company was not able to meet my needs so I decided to build my own server. My hosting was being provided by Nexpoint.net until they started to give me problems. They were saying that the overload load on their server was caused by my site alone and that it was a problem with the code. After having them shut down my site and argue with me many times I got tired of it and said, “fine, ill do it myself.” I started contacting a lot of different companies to see if they would help me out with hardware. MSI was kind enough to send over their K7D Master-L which I am currently using for the OCModShop server. I will be writing an article later on how to build and configure a server which hopefully you can use.
The MSI K7D Master-L uses the AMD 760 MPX chipset which is the successor to AMD 760. The AMD-760. MPX chipset is a high performance two-way multiprocessor core logic solution for AMD AthlonTM MP class processors, offering Multi-Processor eXtended (MPX) performance over the AMD-760 MP chipset. Extended performance is offered by the 66-MHz/64-bit/32-bit PCI bus and a feature-rich peripheral bus controller offering PCI-to-PCI bridging capability along with AC .97 audio. The high-performance of the chipset is attributed to an enhanced AMD Athlon system bus, support for DDR (Double Data Rate) memory technology, and AGP-4X Graphics Interface.
This motherboard has a lot of cool features which we will look at more as the review continues. Below is a list of the main specifications of the motherboard that I grabbed of MSI’s website.
- Supports dual Socket A (Socket-462) for AMD® Athlon™ MP processors
- Two Socket 462 for AMD® Athlon™ MP Processors 2200+ or higherChipset
AMD® 762 chipset. (North-Bridge 949 BGA)
- Supports 266MHz high speed, split transaction system bus.
- AGP PRO 4x and PCI Advanced high performance memory controller. AMD® 768 chipset. (South-Bridge 492 BGA)
- Host (primary) PCI bus utilizes a 66MHz, 32-bit interface.
- AC’97 soft audio controller.
- Enhanced IDE controller. (Through to ATA-100).
- LPC bus to connect peripherals such as super IO and BIOS.
- Extensive ACPI-compliant power management logic
- IO APIC controller.FSB
- Supports 200/266MHz FSBMain Memory
- Four 184-pin DDR DIMM.
- Maximum memory size up to 4GB. (Registered DDR only)Slots
- One AGP PRO slot.
- Two 64-bit/66MHz PCI slots.
- Three 32-bit/33MHz PCI slots.On-Board IDE
- An IDE controller on the AMD 768 chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA 66/100 operation modes.
- Can connect up to four IDE devices.Audio
- Chip Integrated.
- Direct Sound AC’97 Audio.Network
- Intel 82559ER LAN controller
- Integrated IEEE 802.3 10-BaseT & 100-BaseTX PHY.
- Wake-On-LAN and WFM 2.0
- 1 Floppy port supports 2 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes.
- 2 Serial ports (COM A + COM B), 1 Parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode.
- 1 IrDA connector for SIR/ASKIR/HPSIR.
- 1 Audio/Game port.
- 4 USB 2.0BIOS
- The mainboard BIOS provides AMI “Plug & Play” Flash BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically.
- The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface(DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.Dimension
- ATX Form Factor.Mounting
- 9 mounting holes.