There is a sudden rise in the amount of people wanting to find slimes since the update involving the addition of sticky pistons. Therefore I have decided to add this section on how to locate these slimes.
Key slime facts:
- They DO NOT spawn on Peaceful difficulty.
- They only spawn in certain chunks. (A chunk is a 16×16 area).
- They spawn in any light level, so it’s best to light up the area well to prevent unwanted monsters spawning.
- They are very prone to drowning in the smallest amount of water.
- They come in three sizes, each size breaks down into four smaller ones.
- The smallest slimes are the only ones that drop slimeballs.
- Slimes will hop continuously in one direction not stopping for walls, cliffs, lava, etc.. (Unless they spot a player).
- They will not spawn within 24 blocks of any player on the map.
- Lava or Water IS NOT required for slimes to spawn.
Now, the best way to build a “Slime Farm” would be to dig down to just above bedrock before flattening out your 16×16 area. This is since they only spawn deep underground, how deep i’m not too sure but you can safely have it 5 or 6 blocks above bedrock. Also, this will allow you to build a drowning trap if you wish. Once you arrive at your chosen level you just want to dig out a 16×16 area that is at least 3 blocks tall, make sure you light this area well as you do not want other hostile mobs to spawn near you. This is your slime farm. As for killing the slimes the most popular method would be just to get out your sword or bow and arrow and kill them manually, this is since they don’t spawn too often so automating the farm is a waste of time. However, if you do wish to automate it i’d highly suggest using some sort of drowning trap. The best way to achieve this would be just to dig a 2 wide, 2 deep trench around your 16×16 platform and fill it with water. Slimes will jump straight in this and drown. You could also build Transportation canals like outlined in the previous section, though I would be careful with that as the Slimes could drown before they get to where they need to be.
Slimes do not have a very high spawning rate, so if you check your farm a few times and still don’t see any slimes, just be patient.
To find a slime chunk use this website: www.extension.ws/minecraft/slimes.html
This site is not 100% accurate, so there is a very slight chance that Slimes will not spawn in your chosen chunk. This is why I would reccomend you build on three or four slime chunks as to greatly increase your odds of finding a correct spot.
The site is fairly simple to use. You just enter your seed into the top left box and press “Update Map”. This will result in green squares appearing randomly in the map to the right. Find the rough co-ordinates of where you would like to start your farm and enter them in the area designated. This just centers the map on that position. (It will change the number to the nearest 16, so don’t panic). Once you have done that click on the green square closest to the center of the map. A set of numbers will then appear, this will look something like:
- 16,32 to 0,48. This basically is the co-ordinates of the two opposite corners of the chunk, so in this case the co-ordinates will be: X: -16, Z: 32 to X: 0 to Z: 48. Height is not on there, but assume it’s close to bedrock.