How to Fix 100% CPU Usage on Synology Diskstation NAS

How to Fix 100% CPU Usage on Synology Diskstation NAS
Page Jump:

I’ve been tweaking little things here and there with my Synology Diskstation DS 409 NAS server, more recently expanding its storage without upgrading the entire array (read about it here).  One of the things I finally did was upgrade from DSM (Diskstation Manager) 2.2 to DSM 3.0, which adds a completely new interface and fixes many UPNP issues I was having with my Patriot Box Office (read the preview).

There are so many new features to DSM 3.0 that you really owe it to yourself to explore every icon.  The sleek interface uses so much AJAX to the point that it runs virtually like a PC desktop, all within a web browser.  One of the things I came across while exploring the Resource Monitor was that my NAS’s CPU usage was constantly at 100%.  The 1GHz processor has a lot to do since it runs so many services and even calculates RAID parity in software, but there was no way that it should be pegged that much.  Because the CPU was constantly used, the NAS would not enter into any power-saving modes when not in use.

CPU usage back down to 5% after implementing this fix.  Notice how ‘convert’ is no longer in the list

After futher investigation I discovered what was causing the problem, and how to resolve it.   I clicked on the CPU graph to open up a sub-window that contained information about all the running processes.  It appeared that the “convert” command was using up 99% of the CPU’s time.  The “convert” command is used in Linux to convert photos between formats.

Location of the Photo Station applet in Control Panel

It appears that the Diskstation is creating thumbnails of my photos in the system-created “photo” share for use in its Photo Station application.  I had let the system run for several weeks, and the convert application was still chugging away on my meager 150GB of photos.  Since I don’t use this application, I opened up the DSM Control Panel and clicked on the Photo Station and disabled it.  This did not affect CPU usage, even after a hard reboot.

Even disabling Photo Station did not prevent convert from running

On the next page I show you how I fixed it…

« Previous 1 2 Next »

Recommended for your pleasure

How to Professionally Repair DVDs Without Spending...
How to correct Lens Distortion in Photoshop
How to Properly Reboot Your Computer
How to Check Fiber Optics Like a Pro
How to Program and Reset your Media Center Remote

23 Comments

1. melsius says:

had the same here on my Syno 207+ after upgrading to DSM 3.1

moved all pictures: CPU is down form 100 to 15 to 20 average

noticed while moving dirs that convert remains high cpu user until the last file is deleted from photos even if the last files where no picture files.

anyway, everything back to normal now

thanks for the advise

2. totoro says:

Why did you have to use putty to move the directory? Too much of a linux fan to use the DSM file browser? :)

3. Alan says:

@totoro: Hmmm… I guess I could have done that and saved myself some trouble. I didn't think of that, but it was so obvious!

4. Jonas says:

I had this problem to with DSM 3.1. convert was running for over a week until I moved my photos to another map "Photo".

5. Dave says:

Thanks for this article! I just got a DS410 and ran in to this issue with DSM 3.1. I simply renamed my 'photo' share to 'pictures'. Hopefully this can be fixed without the need for this workaround.

6. podosta says:

Thanks a lot !
    Had this problem on DS411j DSM 3.0-1354

7. eilsoe says:

I had the same problem on CS407e
    I moved all my photo files into another share and convert went away.

Thanks for sharing this information.

8. melsius says:

had the same here on my Syno 207+ after upgrading to DSM 3.1
    moved all pictures: CPU is down form 100 to 15 to 20 average
    anyway, everything back to normal now
    thanks for the advise

9. Roy says:

I had the same problem, and your fix worked for me on my DS211.
    the reason to use the linux mv command compared to the file browser is that the linux command is instant. So all your files are instantly in your new folder

10. Bard says:

Very good post.
    Same problem for me with my DS209. DSM 3.1 – 1748

Removed all of the files from "phone" share and CPU went down from 100% to 25 %

Thx.

11. dex says:

Hi. This "bug" (more a Synology's typo) is still underway… A shame =[

12. AndersH says:

Has any of you reported this to Synology? Just to make sure that we are not just sitting here complaining about the problem without actually raising a support case with Synology so they can do something about it… :-)

13. Paul says:

dammit, I also have this blasted photo conversion process hogging 100% of my CPU …I dont need this sucker to convert my damn photos (who in their sane mind would want this) !?!?!? – have a new DS212 with latest software…first time user of Synology

Come on Synology, sort it out as this has been going on for a long time dragging myself through Forum after Forum

14. Joost says:

I discoverd the same problem. After disabeling Photo Station and Mediaserver, the problem was over.

Yes indeed: a strang bug.

(Synology DS212+, DSM 4.0 – 2228)

15. Marcelo says:

I have the same issue on a DS211+. I have combined the suggestion from Joost with the procedure from Alan (btw THANKS A LOT!). Now I see the CPU under 10% most of the time. Too bad how Synology keeps struggling with this release after release.

(Synology DS211+, DSM 4.1 – 2636)

16. Sebastian says:

Wow, this is crazy. I recently bought the DS411, latest drivers, and there is this really annoying bug. Kinna disappointed at Synology. As described, moving your photos from the Media Server share (photo) solves the problem. But big thanks to Alan!

17. Andreshs1 says:

Thanks mate!!!

Great fix!!!

18. hansen says:

THANKS the great advise. It works!

After 2 years of frustration, you are the one who solved it.
    I never got any direct / useful reply from Synology support, that's really bad.

(DS210j on DSM 3.0)

19. Use4Video says:

20. sl_blackcat says:

I have the same problem with may DS212J but solve it in a different way : I fallow this post http://www.markinthedark.nl/news/ubuntu-linux-uni

21. Rob says:

I just got a Synology NAS a few months ago and it's going to be my last from them not because I don't generally like my unit, but because the company continually ignores their customers. We don't need this 'feature', but are happy to have it in there as an 'OPTION'. I've struggled with this idiotic problem since day 1, as have thousands of others.

Great selling feature for QNAP, though.

22. David Pasek says:

Great post. It helped me. Thanks for write-up!!!

23. Brian Barnard says:

Thanks a lot. It worked on my DS112!