One way that I know that I’m old is when I reminisce about the first computer I ever owned, which sported a 40 MEGAbyte hard drive. By today’s standards, you can transfer a file half-way around the world over the Internet faster than these first consumer storage devices. Magnetic hard drives have been getting progressively faster over the decades, implementing new technologies to squeeze out bits ever faster.
The need for throughput speed has brought us to the next paradigm shift in data access: the Solid State Drive, or SSD. If you’re any type of PC enthusiast then you know that SSDs use fast NAND flash chips to store and retrieve data, which have significantly higher throughput rates and lower access times than even the fastest of magnetic hard drives. These drives are starting to become cheap enough that they’re within reach of the average consumer, and every computing enthusiast should have at least one.
The competition has become very fierce in the SSD market, and Corsair (known for their outstanding computer memory products), has introduced their Force Series of Solid State Drives. These drives use fast Intel flash memory, and the highly-praised SandForce controller chip to delegate the digital bits. Corsair sent over a pair of their F40 drives, which have a capacity of 40 Gigabytes each for us to put through the test lab.
For maximum performance for the ultimate system. The Corsair Force Series SSD product line offers the highest performance in Read/Write speeds of up to a maximum read speed of 285MB/s and write speed of 275MB/s. If speed is what you are looking for and what you expect from your performance or gaming system the Corsair Force Series SSD’s are the perfect choice.
Based on the SandForce SF-1200 SSD Processor, the Corsair Force Series SSD’s are the ultimate performance drive. Choose from the F40, F60, F80, F120, F160 or F240 drive for the highest performance and density. Your system will start-up faster, applications and games will load quicker and you will see a huge improvement in overall system responsiveness. The Corsair Force Series SSD is the ultimate SSD for your demanding storage requirements.
- Fast Performance — Games, applications and files load faster, while your system is more responsive
- Compatible — Proven technology with installations on tens of thousands of systems worldwide
- Flexible use — 2.5″ form factor for your notebook or netbook needs, or use with included 3.5″ bracket for your desktop computer
- Silent operation — No moving parts means zero noise and high reliability
- Low Power — Extend battery life for notebook and netbook users
- Reliable — Over 1,000,000 hours mean time between failures
- Backed by Corsair — A respected name with a passion for great service and support
- Maximum sequential read speed 285 MB/second
- Maximum sequential write speed 275 MB/second
- Random 4K write performance of 50,000 IOPS (4K aligned)
- Latest generation SandForce controller and MLC NAND flash for fast performance
- Internal SATA II connectivity
- TRIM support (O/S support required)
- No moving parts for increased durability and reliability and quieter operations over standard hard disk drives
- Decreased power usage for increased notebook or netbook battery life
- 2.5″ form factor for your portable computer needs
- Included 2.5″ to 3.5″ bracket for installation on your desktop computer (Not included on F40)
- Three year warranty
On the next page we take the drive apart and take a look at its offerings…