Laptops are annoying. They are generally slower than desktops, come with less memory and smaller hard drives, and seem to overheat almost at a whim. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know what I would have done without my netbook when I was stuck at the Pittsburgh airport for twelve solid hours, but they are really more trouble than they are worth on their own. And don’t even get me started on the battery life. I was halfway through Zombieland somewhere over South Dakota when my battery suddenly died and I was stuck watching some sappy chick flick on those little Delta headrest screens. Thankfully, there were not sparkling vampires in it.
There’s not much we can do about the crappy batteries except buy extras, and the slowness usually costs hundreds of dollars in upgrades to get us to a happy place. There is, however, a simple way to keep your netbook or laptop from turning your legs into a hot iron griddle. They’ve been around almost as long as laptops themselves and have proven themselves time and again: Notebook coolers. From the ultra-compact foldaway ones to the gigantic models intended for those widescreen behemoths that people are using now, notebook coolers are everywhere. And they seem to get more inventive, more practical, and uglier by the minute.
The Coolermaster Choiix Air-Through Stash we’re reviewing today meets all that criteria, except the ugly part, and even gives you room to put in up to 500GB of storage. That’s right, you can take an old 2.5” SATA/SSD HDD (up to 500GB) and put it in this bad boy for nondescript data storage. All I can say is that it’s about time someone found a use for all that extra space on notebook coolers that didn’t involve some faux fur-lined drawer that’s just big enough to fit a USB stick. Here’s some more info before we get started:
- Compatible with up to 15” Notebook Computers.
- Center silent 8 cm fan for efficient cooling.
- Compatible with up to 500G 2.5″ SATA II HDD & SATA II SSD.
- Innovative, convenient, and inexpensive way to expand your notebook HDD storage capacity.
- Integrated 3 port USB HUB for expanded connectivity.
- Power On/Off and data transfer LED indicator.
- Powered directly from notebook USB port.
- Hot-swappable and Plug and Play compatible – no driver installation necessary.
On the next page we take a close inspection…