Apparently I ruffled a few feathers by blocking AdBlockers… OCMS had a Denial of Service attack distributed from about 20 different computers. They were all attacking the same file, the one that serves up ads. As soon as I changed the target file the site was running fine again.
The evidence overwhelmingly identifies some of these people. I’m not sure if I’m going to turn the logs over to the authorities or not.
FOr some reason the script is broken after I put protection in place, so I will probably do the “Borg” method of serving ads… randomly generate a URL that serves the ads, so even if they specifically block it the URL will change in 30 seconds. The only way to block the ad is to filter out the entire site, which means they wouldn’t see ANY content.
I need to get a hardware firewall though, and don’t have much experience with “real” professional equipment. I used a consumer “Internet router” once but it dropped like 50% of my traffic. A hardware firewall is very expensive, so I was thinking about building one. It should support VPN, NAT (and defend against DDoS of course).